Right before the rug was pulled out from beneath us!

Friday, December 9, 2011


This picture was taken before he went in.  They put three I.V.'s in before the surgery. one in each arm, and on in his neck. The one in his left arm needed to be in an artery, to measure his blood pressure through out the surgery.  The surgery was scheduled for 8:30.  They have a screen in the waiting room to update the family members with how the surgery is going.  You are given a number, so you check the status with that number on the board.  Shortly after arriving in the waiting room the monitor changed the surgery start time to 9:40....  However, a little after 9a.m. Dr. Maron stopped in to tell me they had started the surgery, and everything was going well.  I did go down stairs and grabbed a cup of coffee and a donut... ( and yes I ate it.. I am after all a stress eater). As I waited I tried super hard not to focus on the fact that my sons heart wasn't beating on it's own or that a machine was breathing for him because his lunges were deflated. I passed time chatting with another couple who also had a 19 year old son having surgery for totally separate reasons but equally as concerning.  I also kept busy texting friends and family.  I can't even tell you how much I appreciate all the prayers.  * Note to anyone having to spend the day hospital, take your phone charger with you.  

 Noreen, the nurse practitioner stopped by to keep me company for a while.  Then, Dr. Maron came out 3/4 way through the surgery to tell us they were closing him up, everything looked great and that Dr. Rastegar would be out to speak with us when they had finished up.  What a relief, I sat and cried for a minute before I grabbed my phone to email Bill, but before I ever finished the message, he was there. He actually passed Dr. Maron in the hall and he told Bill where to find me. Before we knew it , Dr. Rastegar came out and told us how great the procedure went. 
Dr. Rastegar told us to give them about 30 minutes before we headed up to see him... In actuality it was about an hour before they let us see him, and we only got to see him for five minutes with the breathing tube still down his throat and wires everywhere... but he is perfect...
The nurses told us to leave,  Which  was harder than I thought it would be... I fought tears... I didn't want him to wake up and not have us there but the nurses wouldn't let us back anyways... so Bill and I went back to the hotel and stocked the hotel room with food so when he comes back to the hotel, I won't have to leave his side. then the nurse called and said he was awake and singing.  So in 11 minutes we were back to the hospital waiting to see him.... However we had to wait an hour and 45 minutes before they finally let us in to see him... But the nurse was right, he was awake, alert, singing and joking, again they wouldn't allow us to stay long, but those few minutes I got seeing him awake were exactly what I needed.. 


  1. He's always so smiley. I'm glad this went well!

  2. Goodness, my deepest heartfelt prayers and amens/hallelujahs. You are such a wonderful family and I am so inspired by you....
    Tammy Spooner, Austin,TX